Hey Y’all! I know that I’m a primarily a YA and MG reader but sometimes, I just like my books like my age, adult…and no, not non-fiction because we know (well, those who know me know) that is NOT my jam but I do love a good adult rom-com and romance. This was something that I really discovered this year and I think that I needed the levity of these genres in how heavy I’ve felt over the last year with my grief and mental health.
Another thing is that I am a grown woman and sometimes, grown folks just need grown folks banter/scenarios. Sometimes you want to have things mentioned from your teen years mentioned without there being an explanation, righteous anger at a main character or love interest because they are grown and should know better, enjoying an adult beverage, the solidarity in long periods of singledom (*cough* and other adult things) and craving higher steam levels between characters. Now that I’m thinking about it, its funny cause I read books from Zane (am I telling on myself here & I met her, lol), Eric Jerome Dickey (maybe I’m really telling on myself here & may he Rest In Peace), Sapphire, Omar Tyree and Sista Soulja as a teen *hides face in hands* and so many of us know what went down in those books. These were the books that my peers were passing around and talking about & being a curious teen, I read them too *shrugs*. Now I’ve somewhat returned to that world but a lot more Rom-Com in content.
Since I have been reading a lot of adult romances/rom-coms lately, I’m going to share a brief list of some of my favorites! All of these have varying levels of steam, just in case y’all were wondering. There are bonus points for me if the love interest is also POC (hey, I like what I like and there is something to be said about having a love interest who understands at least some of your life experiences)!
- Make Up Break Up by Lily Menon
- A Sweet Mess & The Dating Dare by Jayci Lee
- Blind Date With A Book Boyfriend E-novella by Lucy Eden (This is the meet-cute & whirlwind romance I long for, for myself)
- Shifter Escapes series: Bear With Me, The Wolf Of Wall Street & Pre-Teen Wolf by Lucy Eden (I’m personally hoping a full length novel will happen for one of the characters in this series…just putting it out into the universe).
- Primas Of Power Series: You Had Me At Hola & A Lot Like Adiós by Alexis Daria (I’m ready for the 3rd book)
- The Donut Trap by Julie Tieu
- Make A Scene by Mimi Grace
- Sweethand by N.G. Peltier (It was so good to read a book set in Trinidad & I’m excited for the second book, it comes out next year)
- The Trouble With Hating You & First Love, Take Two by Sajni Patel
- The Shaadi Set-Up by Lillie Vale
And I’m currently reading Amor Actually by Zoey Castile, Alexis Daria, Adriana Herrera, Diana Muñoz Stewart, Priscilla Oliveras, Sabrina Sol, and Mia Sosa which is a Latinx holiday romance anthology where all the stories are connected and so far, I’m really enjoying it (it just came out December 7th). The steam levels also vary amongst the stories!
Now, in case you are wondering, I’m not going into the realm of reviewing adult books (but I can give recs). My focus remains on YA & MG books as my mission is firmly rooted in amplifying those books but I do love the idea of supporting adult book Authors Of Color as well. And I honestly just felt like sharing some books that have given me the escape that I’ve found myself needing. Does anyone have times where their Spirit calls for something outside of their usual reading? Is there a genre that you view as your guilty pleasure as I seem to have found in adult romance/rom-coms? Share them in the comments or on Social media with me! You can find & follow me on Instagram @bookishgirlmagic, Twitter @bookishgrlmagic and Clubhouse @bookishgrlmagic where you can find me mostly in book centered clubs/rooms (primarily on Tuesdays and Fridays). Also subscribe to this blog if you haven’t already because it makes me all giddy like I’m reading a good romance! Sending y’all bookish love and wishing you happy reading! Tootles Y’all!